A sewing machine is something which is popularly known to be used to stitch or make clothes, but does anyone of you is aware of what serger is?
Well, this is the question that put you here in this blog. Worry not about this! Here I will tell you about both this product, its importance, and which one you should opt for?
I hope you will have an overall idea about both these articles at the end of the article. Let’s dive into it!
Firstly, let’s understand what a sewing machine is?
Yes, the sewing machine is a baby easy for you to stitch any fabric. Furthermore, this machine is especially for stitching enthusiast, which helps to save energy and time as well. Fashion designers, local tailors, and boutiques usually use these types of machines.
The industrial revolution gave birth to the idea of a sewing machine in 1790. Back then, these machines were only meant to handle the type of sewing patterns. As time flew, the trends related to the sewing machine changed and has become more efficient than before. In today’s time, a sewing machine has abilities that can serve any kind of function that were difficult or could say impossible without manpower and energy. Check out different types of stitches in a sewing machine.
Now, what is a serger machine?
Although serger is a new name to hear, it is also similar and an upgraded variant of a sewing machine. Serger machine has got more features that we cannot find in normal sewing machines. You can use a serger machine for multiple purposes. Moreover, they are faster than the regular sewing machine for quilting. It saves time and gives defined stitches to any kind of fabric clothes.
There is a massive demand for garments stitching, and the serger machine is a hot pick for any designer who is into the profession of garment designing. Serger fits best to do perfect trimming and hemming. It operates automatically, just with a press of a button. The automatic rolling feature of the serger machine makes it more efficient and faster to complete the work.
Check out different kinds of stitches in a serger machine.
1. Number of Needles
When considering a general sewing machine, it just has one type of needle, whereas, sergers have multiple and different kinds of needles that make the work done easily in no time and show perfection in trimmings. Serger machines are proficient in lock stitches whereas sewing machine can go well with top stitches.
2. Number of Bobbins
As compared to a sewing machine, serger has more bobbins. Due to the fact that serger has many pins, it needs the support of a lot of threads. Therefore, sergers have more bobbins to support threads for multiple tasks, whereas sewing machine has one.
When the need for garment production is higher, both the sewing machine and sergers are essential because both serve different purposes, and the designer cannot rely on just one of these machines. Moreover, sergers provide more productivity than that of a sewing machine when it comes to mass production.
A well-known fact that Time is Money; hence, efficiency is a major priority for everyone. If you believe the same, then you must go for serger machines. They are highly efficient and easy to operate. Whereas, sewing machine takes a little longer time to get the work done.
Advantages of Sergers over a regular Sewing machine
It’s not that we are saying a sewing machine is useless, but it has many features that can fulfill the maximum demands of fashion designers or tailors. However, serger machines can perform multiple functions altogether. Let’s surf through the pros and cons of a sewing machine and sergers:
- Sergers do not require electricity to work. They are more compatible than a regular sewing machine. Also, they are easily portable with less energy and electricity consumption to perform various stitching functions.
- Sergers run faster than normal sewing machines because they can handle many threads at the same time. Serger machines do not need any manual functioning. It runs automatically and provides proper trimming.
- Serger machines are best suited for industrial purposes. Industries rely on mass production, and to carry out such large numbers, they need quicker equipment. Hence, for this reason, sergers are more effective and efficient.
- With the help of serger, you can get the perfect and ultimate finishing at the end of the work. The side-sew in sergers can be equipped with functions that a sewing machine can never have.
- If you wish to get a perfect finish and professional look for your outfit, a serger machine can totally do that for you. Fashion trends change every day, so, to cope up with it, people need excellent stitching equipment to design dazzling outfits in less time and money.
Advantages of sewing machine over regular sergers
Sewing machines have made wonders ever since they had been introduced in the market and have created marvelous designs by making work easier for professional designers and tailors. Let’s take a look at the sewing machine.
- When you’re new in this profession, you need to get your hands trained on one such types of equipment. For beginners, especially like me, the sewing machine is the best to operate and learn. It is portable and handy and has made learning this art easy.
- Sewing machines are flexible to use. Moreover, you can track your work easily on it and correct it instantly if any wrong work is detected.
- There are manual sewing machines. The sewing machine does not require electricity. It hence saves time and is convenient to use anytime. It does not require extra power to run any function.
- This is an essential fact about a sewing machine. A sewing machine is used almost everywhere. It takes less time than manual work and is very easy to handle by an adult.
Which is better?
Now comes the biggest question arises of which one is better and why? And well, the answer is Serger. Technology is taking over everything. We are living in a world where technology is evolving at a great rate. A serger is better because it is equipped with all the latest technologies.
Is it profitable? Yes, it is. Serger machines can handle many functions and can reduce manpower to a great extent, and spending a little more on a serger machine is worth and profitable.
Efficiency and speed are all that any professional dressmaker can ask for. Both sewing machines and Serger machines serve all the purposes. But serger can work wonderfully if you want perfection in every aspect of your work. Do choose a serger machine over regular stitching machines at your work.
However, if you choose sewing as a hobby or something to meet your daily needs, then go for a sewing machine.
Eventually, the choice is yours according to the nature of your work. Happy sewing !!